Select Page

Duc Nguyen Family

Duc Nguyen graduated with degrees in Business Administration and Human Resources Management.  Below, he reflects on his time at WSU.

Why did you choose WSU?

I found out about Winona State University by chance. A friend of mine was going to try out for the baseball team here and convinced me to apply for enrollment with him. We were both accepted but he ended up going to a different university. My first trip down from Mounds View I was amazed by the scenery while driving. The bluffs were gorgeous and I had never seen that many trees in one take ever in my life. Once I got to the WSU, I saw the small class size and everyone looking so busy, I loved that. I chose WSU because everyone looked like that had a purpose while on campus. Winona is the perfect combination of city and natural life.

What was your favorite part of your WSU experience?

Those close to me know how much of an obsession I had with the tennis club on campus. It was a small tightknit group of individuals like me who were in love with the sport enjoying the competitive USTA scene. I was able to travel and experience a sport without the time commitment that I could not afford.

Why are you proud to attend/graduate from WSU?

Most students I know on campus are competition champions, student leaders, athletes, scholarship recipients, etc… I am constantly in company of people who can challenge me to be better. When I wear my Winona State University cap and gown, I will know that I am much better for it.

Who were some of your mentors at WSU?

Dr. Jana Craft (HR), Patrick Paulson (MR), and Charlie Opatz (Career Services) along with many other faculty members has at some point in time, sat down 1-on-1 with me to discuss my problems, concerns, achievements, and future plans. The three that I did name, however, has helped me make life-changing decisions. They may not know they contributed that much to my life but their actions are more than praise-worthy.

Do you have any advice for your peers?

Find a passion. Without passion you’re just following a routine.

What are your plans for after college?

I am currently reviewing offers.

How did it feel to walk across the stage at Commencement?

I never had such a good day in my life. My family was there to see the first in our family to graduate. If there was ever a time where I felt happiness, nervousness, excitement, and determined all at once this would be it. Walking to receive my diploma on stage, and instead of shaking hand with Dean Hamid we hugged. Winona feels personal and professional at the same time. I wish I could stay another year but during the commencement all I could think about was how well prepared I was to go and start my career.