Select Page
Michaela Griffin

Griffin discussing her time in the College of Business before receiving life member status in the John Latsch Leadership Academy. Photo Credit: Heidi Wisniewski

Winona State University has been an incredible place to learn and grow as a young professional as I learned how to better serve the community. The College of Business is exemplary in how it challenges its students, while also supporting them in various endeavors. Whether attending an interesting lecture or an intriguing event, the College of Business has always offered enriching opportunities to me as a student.

C-Suite Executive Mentorship
The CEO in Residence, Steve Blue, visits campus often allowing students to connect with and be mentored by a C-Suite executive. This connection is unique to WSU and provides an excellent platform for students to envision a potential career path. Both Steve Blue and other outstanding speakers have provided unprecedented advice to students. Their speeches and presentations have had a profound impact on my personal college experience and have helped me to Create My More.

Faculty and Staff Support
Additionally, the College of Business employs an incredible team of faculty and staff. Each professional residing within the College of Business offers new insights to students and provides a wealth of knowledge. Professors and faculty members were always willing to meet with me outside of class and offered additional resources and support. For example, I was mentored by six different faculty members when deciding which career path to take. The sensible and generous advice I was given by these individuals will forever impact the course of my career.

John Latsch Leadership Academy Inductees Fall 2017

Griffin and other John Latsch Leadership Academy Inductees of Fall ’17

“I never question whether the members of the College of Business care about students. I know they do!”

Peer Support
The College of Business also encourages students to engage with one another. Whether in the classroom or not, students are constantly interacting with one another and building life-long relationships. For example, in my management courses, teamwork and collaboration were heavily emphasized. Professors stressed the importance of building a network and learning to work with different leadership styles. Students were encouraged to challenge each other’s viewpoints and bring up concepts not previously addressed. Outside of the classroom, I was involved in the John Latsch Leadership Academy, Beta Gamma Sigma, and the Accounting Association. Each of these organizations challenged me as a servant leader and as a young professional.

“At every stage of my journey, the College of Business has consistently empowered me to Create My More.”

The courses, events, organizations, and people within the College of Business were all components of what became my more. Everyone’s more will be and should be different. Engage in what is meaningful to you. Give back and reach out when you can. Design your college experience in a way so that you experience more.

There are people here to help you! So, go out there and Create Your More!

-Micaela Griffin