Select Page

Joey Velasquez ’19 has been chosen as the Student of the Game for Winona State’s Men’s basketball game against Concordia University, St. Paul.

While majoring in Business Administration, Velasquez has been a part of the Winona State Sales Team, Pi Sigma Epsilon Co-ed business fraternity, and the Winona State Western Collegiate Club Hockey Association D-2 Club Hockey team. He is also a USA International IceCross downhill athlete.

How Joey has Created his MORE

“I have a passion for Professional Sales. Over the past summer, I held an Inside Sales position with Pronto Heating & Air Conditioning in the Twin Cities Metro Area. I joined the Winona State Sales Team at the beginning of the school year and was selected to compete in the Great Northwoods Sales Warm-Up at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire. As a team, we meet twice a week and review sales cases.

As a member of the marketing and sales committee of Pi Sigma Epsilon Zeta-Omicron, I participated in the Pro-Am-Sellathon at our regional conference held in Brookfield, Wisconsin. Our Zeta-Omicron chapter discusses fundraising events, leadership activities, networking events, and professional development strategies.

I was also a leader to our Winona State D-2 Club Hockey team finishing the season with 9 points in 11 games and served as a role model and team “dad” through my work, both on and off the ice. Our team practiced weekly with weekend series against conference rivals.

As an IceCross downhill athlete, I have competed in international races in Judenburg, Austria; Rautalamapi, Finland; Superior, Wisconsin; and the iconic stadium, Fenway Park in Boston. I am currently ranked 92nd in the world.”

This March, Velasquez is traveling with Winona State’s Pi Sigma Epsilon to the National Conference in Jacksonville, Florida, to be a competitor in the Pro-Am Sellathon. While he is competing, he will also be interviewing with potential employers.

Student of the Game, started in the Fall of 2017, highlights students who have worked to make the College of Business a better place. Recipients of the award are chosen by the Deans Advisory Board in coordination with College of Business faculty.